Termite Control In Sioux Falls: Everything You Need To Know
September 01, 2023 - Termites
Termites, we all agree, should stay out of our homes. These invaders are not only destructive, but they are also silent and persistent. They can carry on their relentless work day in and day out without even needing to sleep.
In this guide to termite control in Sioux Falls, you will learn to identify the signs of termite activity, understand why these translucent insects invade homes, and discover the key to removing the factors that attract them. With help from Olson's Pest Technicians, your home can be safe from termites year-round for optimal protection.
Termite Activity: How To Identify The Signs
Termites often leave several clues when they take over properties, but you might only be able to spot them if you know what you're looking for. Also, some are only visible once the damage has become extensive.
Still, learning to identify the signs of termites is critical to detecting an infestation early. Here are some of the most common:
- Drywood termites, which usually live within our walls, produce feces known as frass. They push these tiny pellets through the holes they dig in the structure of our homes.
- If your flooring is made of wood and is starting to feel noisy or unsteady, it could be due to termite damage.
- When termites eat through the inside of our walls, there will eventually be signs on the outside, usually pinholes in drywall, peeling paint, and damaged wallpaper.
- If you see flying termites or their wings around your property, it could be because the colony is expanding or a new one is settling into your home.
If you see any signs of a termite problem, now is the time to act; these destructive pests pose real threats to homeowners.
Understanding The Termite Threat: Why Termites Infest Homes
Termites in Sioux Falls infest homes because of their biological need for wood. These social insects thrive on cellulose, making our houses an attractive target. Over time, they can form large colonies that are incredibly efficient.
Moisture-rich environments are one of the main factors conducive to termite survival. If you have anything from leaky pipes and faulty drainage to poor ventilation, you could be the target of these unwanted pests. And once a colony establishes itself near the structure of your home, termites can easily access your indoor space and start to grow.
Unfortunately, their secretive behavior makes early detection challenging. By the time you notice evidence of termites, you could already have significant damage, and this is why regular inspections and removing the factors that attract termites are crucial in mitigating their threat.
Prevention Is Key: How To Remove Factors That Attract Termites
Eliminating the factors that attract termites to your property is essential to keep it safe. Here are some critical steps to achieve this:
- Remove wood-to-soil contact as these destructive pests use soil as a bridge to access wood.
- Fix moisture issues by repairing leaks, improving drainage, and ensuring proper ventilation.
- Store firewood and other cellulose-based materials elevated and away from the house.
- Regularly clean gutters to prevent water from accumulating near your foundation.
- Seal possible entry points in your walls and foundation.
Following these termite prevention tips can significantly reduce the risk of termite infestations, but they are even more effective when combined with professional pest control strategies.
Professional Termite Control: Long-Term Termite Control And Protection
Professional pest control in Sioux Falls is key to long-term termite management. Olson's Pest Technicians can help with thorough inspections to identify existing problems or conducive conditions and customized treatment plans for all levels of termite infestations.
Call us today to learn about our options, including new construction treatments, chemical treatments, Sentricon® bait station installation, monitoring, and pre-purchase/pre-sale inspections. We will also educate you about potential risk factors and the measures you can take to reduce your attractiveness to termites.
Olson's Pest Technicians provides professional termite control that is proactive and effective long-term. Call us today to schedule your inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Sioux Falls.