Termite Identification And Control In Sioux Falls
May 15, 2022 - Termites
Termites have been plaguing homeowners for generations. These pests infiltrate the wood in our homes to silently devastate and devour them from the inside. Studies have shown that termites have caused more damage to homes in the United States than earthquakes, tornados, and fires combined! Having reliable and routine termite treatments and pest control in Sioux Falls is the first step to keeping your home from becoming a statistic.
The most common termite in South Dakota is the Eastern subterranean termite. To properly determine if you have a termite problem, you need to ensure that the pests you see are termites. Each termite nest has different castes and roles, including the queen, workers, soldiers, and swarmers (reproductive).
- Queen: The biggest termite in the nest by far at approximately four inches with a big white abdomen that is about 100 times bigger than the rest of the termites in the nest. She can produce more than 2,000 eggs a day and live for over 25 years.
- Workers: These tiny, translucent colored termites are the ones that inflict damage to your home. They are ⅛ of an inch (about the size of a match head), wingless, sterile, and blind. They gather food, feed and groom the soldiers, build tunnels, repair and enlarge the nest, and care for the nymphs. These soft-bodied termites work 24 hours a day for the two years they are alive.
- Soldiers: Soldier termites protect the rest of the colony from intruders, such as ants. They are ⅜ of an inch long with a wide, flat, orange, rectangular armored head with mandibles that crush the ants before they can harm the rest of the termites. They live for one to two years.
- Swarmers: Also referred to as reproductives or alates, these termites are usually only seen during the spring and fall swarming seasons. They are about ⅜ of an inch long, including their brownish-gray wings and dark brown bodies. They swarm in search of a mate to become the queen of a new colony. They lose their wings once they find their mate.
Although there are other signs of termites on your Sioux Falls property, you can look for, seeing the swarmers is probably the most obvious one. Regular termite and pest control maintenance from the experts at Olson’s Pest Technicians is the most effective way to avoid having a termite problem.
Signs Of Termite Activity
You are more likely to see signs of termite damage before you see signs of termite activity. The first sign of activity is the presence of discarded wings, typically around window sills. Keep an eye out for swarmers outside near your home’s foundation in the spring and fall. Seeing swarmers doesn’t mean your house or building is already infested, but it is a cause to bring in the experts at Olson’s Pest Technicians for further investigation.
Eastern subterranean termites have incredible survival instincts, and if they are disturbed, they will quickly abandon that spot for another location within the same area. If you notice signs of termites on your Sioux Falls property, it is essential not to disturb them and quickly call your local termite and pest control professionals.
Signs Of Termite Damage
Although they are mainly out of sight, deep within the recesses of the wood, some common signs of termites to look for around your home and property include:
- Mud tubes along exterior walls or your home’s foundation. These thin tubes look like they are made of mud, and the termites use them to travel from outside to inside the wooden structure.
- Uneven or bubbling paint around your window and door frames.
- Trouble getting windows and doors to close and properly latch.
- Termite droppings.
- Wood that looks damaged or chewed.
Termites usually start inflicting damage before we are aware of their presence or notice the signs, which is why having regular, routine, professional termite treatments is the easiest and best way to ensure your peace of mind.
The Best Termite Protection
Although some people wait until they notice signs of termites on their Sioux Falls property, starting regular termite and pest control treatments before that happens is the best way to keep the structural integrity of your home intact. Repairing termite damage can be costly and time-consuming. Olson’s Pest Technicians is a family-owned business taking care of the homes in Sioux Falls and the surrounding areas for over 50 years with our reliable, effective, and long-lasting service. Call us to schedule your inspection today!