You Should Pay Extra Attention To Sioux Falls Bed Bugs In June
June 30, 2022 - Bed Bugs
As the weather warms up in June, it brings with it a risk of more pest activity. Among those pests is the bed bug – though they are active year-round, their activity peaks June through October as warmer temperatures encourage increased feeding and breeding. Bed bug control techniques for your home are especially important in June to keep this pest from starting widespread infestations.
Why Are Bed Bugs Drawn To Homes In Sioux Falls
Understanding what causes bed bugs is one of the essential steps to control and prevent infestations of this pest. Several factors may end up causing you to battle a bed bug infestation, but the most common reason is that bed bugs are drawn to areas with high concentrations of carbon dioxide, as this indicates a feeding source. When sleeping, humans give out a large amount of carbon dioxide, letting bed bugs know it’s safe to bite.
Bed bugs will hitchhike from an infested area to your home by hiding in clothing and baggage. Once on your property, they will quietly slip away into their favorite hiding areas to wait for their chance to start feeding.
Signs You Could Be Dealing With A Bed Bug Infestation
Learning how to tell if you have bed bugs is an important skill, especially if you want to stop infestations of this pest before they take over and get out of control. Keep in mind that if you do detect the following signs, you should contact pest control to kill bed bugs immediately:
- Reddish or rust-colored staining appears in sleeping areas, walls, furniture, or your floors and carpeting.
- A musty odor is present in your home, where many bed bugs congregate.
- Individuals in your home start showing signs of itchy red bites.
- You see bed bug bodies gathered around the corners of mattresses, on furniture, or hidden in wall gaps.\
Call our experts at Olsen's Pest Technicians if you notice any of these telltale infestation signs.
Five Tips To Keep Bed Bugs Out Of Your Home
If you want to keep bed bugs out of your home, you can follow our top five prevention tactics listed below:
- Vacuum-seal your clothes when traveling, as this will keep unwanted hitchhikers out. Also, wash all clothes in hot water to kill potential invaders upon returning home.
- Always elevate your luggage in accommodation areas or on public transport to stop bed bugs from crawling inside.
- Check for signs of staining or bed bugs in accommodation or seating areas before using the space.
- Place all second-hand items and furniture outside on a sheet overnight before using them. If staining or bed bug bodies appear, don’t use the item.
- Check accommodation areas and second-hand items with gloved hands and a flashlight; leave the area immediately and don’t use the item if you see bed bugs.
There are many bed bug hotspots when traveling besides hotels and motels, such as public transportation, airports, train stations, anywhere you may be out and about. Bed bugs can become a guest in your home very quickly.
Professional Bed Bug Control Is Especially Important In June
You should be extra wary in June as bed bugs start to become more active when it comes to bed bug control. Pest control in Sioux Falls, provided by the specialists at Olson's Pest Technicians, can help you learn how to get rid of bed bugs for good. We implement treatment solutions to eliminate any active infestation of this pest.
So, when bed bug activity peaks, give Olson’s Pest Technicians a call and protect your home from this small, yet troublesome pest.
They do a wonderful job and really know their business would recommend to everyone