What's The Best Way To Keep Spiders Out Of My Sioux Falls Home?
October 15, 2022 - Spiders
If you're a Sioux Falls resident, you've probably seen your share of spiders. These eight-legged creatures can be found pretty much everywhere, but they tend to prefer warm and humid environments like homes. If you're not a fan of spiders, or if you're afraid of them, the experts at Olson's Pest Technicians are here to help. We'll talk about the different types of spiders that are common in Sioux Falls, what attracts them to houses, how to keep them out, and how pest control in Sioux Falls can help to eliminate them for good.
What Kind Of Spiders Are There In Sioux Falls?
A few different, and some of the most common include cellar spiders, house spiders, and wolf spiders:
- Cellar spiders: These spiders are also known as daddy long-legs and they're usually gray or brown in color. They have long legs and small bodies, and they like to build their webs in dark, moist places like cellars and basements.
- House spiders: As their name suggests, house spiders are commonly found in homes. They're usually black or brown and they build their webs in corners, under furniture, and in other dark places.
- Wolf spiders: Wolf spiders are larger than cellar and house spiders, and they're usually brown or gray. They don't build webs, but they do hunt for their prey. They're commonly found outdoors, but they can also find their way into homes through cracks and crevices.
Although they aren't as common, Sioux Falls is also home to venomous black widow spiders. Keep an eye out for shiny black spiders with a red hourglass shape on their abdomen. If you see one of these spiders, call a professional like Olson's Pest Technicians right away to remove it.
What Makes Spiders Come Inside Houses?
There are a few factors that can attract spiders to your Sioux Falls home:
- Homes that are cluttered or have a lot of unused storage space are more likely to attract spiders because they provide more places for the spiders to hide.
- Spiders are attracted to homes with a lot of insects because they see them as a potential food source. If you have a problem with insects, you're more likely to have a problem with spiders as well.
- Outdoor lights can attract insects, which in turn can attract spiders. If you have outdoor lights near your home, try to keep them off as much as possible or use yellow bulbs instead of white bulbs.
Olson's Pest Technicians can help you remove insect pests in Sioux Falls so that spiders won't be motivated to come inside.
What Are Some Ways I Can Keep Spiders Out Of My Home?
The best spider control in Sioux Falls starts with preventing spiders from getting into your Sioux Falls home in the first place.
Here are some practical tips on home defense for spiders:
- Keep your home clean and clutter-free.
- Vacuum regularly and dust often.
- Seal any cracks or crevices around your doors, windows, and foundation.
- Get rid of insects in and around your home.
- Trim back any trees, bushes, or other vegetation that's touching your house.
Removing what attracts them and securing your home is a great way to get rid of spiders naturally. If you're still seeing too many in your home, the best way to get rid of spiders in Sioux Falls is with a professional spider control service.
How Do I Get Rid Of Spiders And Their Prey In My Home?
At Olson's Pest Technicians, we understand that getting rid of spiders can be a difficult and daunting task. We're here to help. We've been handling pest issues in Sioux Falls since 1966, and we're familiar with all spiders and other pests that are common in the area. We'll work with you to develop a pest control plan that will address your specific needs and get rid of spiders in your house as well as insect prey that attracts them. Contact us today to get started with a free inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Sioux Falls.